Math Placement Test
Please make your appointment online!
- The price of the ALEKS Placement Exam is $41.00 per exam
- First year students who need Math 105 or Phil 110 to satisfy the Math requirement for their major can take a proctored Math Placement (ALEKS) test.
- Students have 2 chances to take the proctored test to satisfy the G-strand math requirement
- Students need a score of 88% or higher on the Prep for College Algebra test of 65% or higher on the Prep for Calculus test.
- This opportunity is only available during the student's first year at UA.
Placement into UA math or science courses
UA is using two different ALEKS assessment tests. It is the student's responsibility to determine which placement test to take. However, see below for some general recommendations:
- Prep for Calculus Students who are interested in taking Calculus I (UA Math 124 or 125), or who are in a major that requires Calculus I, should take the Prep for Calculus ALEKS Placement Exam. This test is for students with recent experience with Precalculus and Trigonometry, or higher level math courses. This test places students at all levels (Math 100AX, 100, 112, 113, 116, 120R, 122A, 125 etc.). However, students who have never taken trigonometry or precalculus should not take this test.
- Prep for College Algebra Students who have no interest in taking Calculus I and who are in a major that does not require calculus, should take the Prep for College Algebra ALEKS Placement Exam. This test places students at all levels BELOW the level of Calculus I (Math 100AX, 100, 112, 113, 116, 120R, etc. but not 122A/B, 125). Students who need to take Calculus (Math 122A + 122B) can take math 111+112 as prequisites, instead of math 120R.
Note: A $10 no-show/ cancellation fee will be assessed through your Bursar's account. Please see the UA Testing Office Cancellation Policy.
Test PoliciesClick or enter to reveal information below
- The test is not timed, but students should plan on testing for up to two hours or longer.
- Please note that our office closes at 5 p.m. promptly during normal business hours. Take this into consideration when making an appointment at either 2 or 3 p.m. You will have up to a week to complete the test.
- Each additional day of testing will be charged an additional $20.
- A calculator is provided in the ALEKS system. Students cannot use their own calculator on this test
Description of FeesClick or enter to reveal information below
|Amount||Description of Fees|
Per proctoring appointment. **Remember - The test is not timed, but students should plan on testing for up to two hours or longer. Students who are not able to finish the test in the allotted time can resume testing on another day (extra fee).
The test must be completed within one week of testing. The student will be charged, even if the test is not completed.
|$10||Proctoring fee to continue your attempt the next day.|
|$10||Cancellation / No Show fee|
RegistrationClick or enter to reveal information below
Testing is NOW AVAILABLE by online registration! Please visit https://testing.arizona.edu/registration/ to register TODAY! Our office is open for questions Monday-Friday between the hours of 8am-5pm. We will also be offering weekend testing during certain times of the semester.
Other Testing: Students with access to a webcam, microphone, and credit or debit card can take an online proctored test through the UA portal at ProctorU. Check the Math Placement Website for more information. Math Placement website